Wednesday, November 17, 2004

 

Expectation shifts

I read reviews of books (and less helpfully, of music) on sites like Amazon. I can't help but notice how a generally high scored item will get a low score from someone who will write something like "I read all the rave reviews and was eagerly anticipating enjoying this enormously. Instead, I found it was a piece of crap. What are these other people smoking?"

Less commonly, I find a review like this: "At first I hated this, but as I forced myself to read/listen to it more, I found I convinced myself I actually liked it."


I find these sentiments wordy, and repetitive. For those familiar with the notion of design patterns, I wonder if we could identity common patterns in reviews, and give them short snappy names, so we can scan reviews more quickly? Or, maybe it's been done already?


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?