Thursday, January 06, 2005

 

What happens when the "thumbs generation" grows up?

Kids love texting. Any parent will tell you that. And I've see it in the lab as well: adults struggle to register for email using their mobiles, while teens effortlessly sign on. Calling youth the "thumbs generation" is campy, but accurate as well.

Text is made for youth. They want low cost communication, gossip potential, and a way to fill downtime waiting for public transport. But while youth have special incentive to learn to text, unlike adults, it doesn't mean they will drop texting as they grow up.

A shocking scene this evening in downtown Wellington: a girl, maybe 17 or 18, texting as she was driving. I don't think it's a good combination. I'm sure she is far better at texting than me. But I bet I'm a better driver.


Comments:
Yesterday I saw another case of a young woman texting while driving, this time in Auckland. New Zealand needs laws stimulating only hands-free mobile use, like the UK and several US states have.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?