Tuesday, February 01, 2005

 

Wordcount

How frequently a word is used is an important part of how clearly a message is understood. Frequently used words are generally better understood (as long as the word doesn't have too many potentially conflicting meanings.) I know from studying foreign languages how useful it is to know the frequency a word appears. In university I worked my way through a list of the top 2000 Chinese characters. But for a native English speaker, this information is often buried in linguistic databases. A more populist approach is offered by WORDCOUNT / Tracking the Way We Use Language /. I would like more functionality on the site, more integration with other ways of viewing a word (such as related concepts), but I still think it is an intriguing idea.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?